Churches, Hospitals, Libraries, Schools, Parks, Civic Buildings

Every community has a variety of buildings and spaces to serve a broad public rather than just a single family or company.

Religious Building

Mount Carmel Monastery
Church of God & Saints of Christ
Church of the Living Word
Christ Methodist Church
Edgewood Lutheran Church
18th St Chapel
English Lutheran Church
First Baptist Church
First Christian Church
First Presbyterian Church
Fourth Street Methodist Church
Old Stone Church
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Ukranian Catholic Church
St John Greek Orthodox Church
St John's Evangelical Protestant Church
St James Catholic Cathedral (probably never existed - an incorrect name in References/Pyne; see St Joseph Cathedral)
St James Evangelical Lutheran Church
St Joseph Cathedral
St Mark's Lutherian Church - site originally occupied by an Indian mound according to Meier, p 2.
St Matthews Church
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church - old
St Michael's Church
Scottish Rite Temple
Second Presbyterian Church now Wheeling Christian Church
Thomson Church
Vance Memorial Presbyterian Church

Cemeteries

The Wheeling Area Genealogical Society and Ohio County Gen Web has an excellent page on local cemeteries!
Greenwood Cemetery 1526 National Rd (Oakmont). More
Manchester Cemetery - Rock Point Road
Mount de Chantal Cemetery - northwest of main building
Old Stone Presbyterian Church Cemetery - Stone Church Road
Peninsula cemetery In 1964, bodies from part of Peninsula Cemetery were moved to Mt. Zion Cemetery to make room for the I-70 Wheeling Tunnel road.
Wood Cemetery

Hospitals

North Wheeling Hospital
Ohio Valley Medical Center
City Hospital (on site of Ohio Valley Medical Center)
Wheeling Hospital The original one on 15th St.

Schools

WV Division of Culture and History has a small online collection of early photos of Wheeling schools and a list of early academies which was the source for some listed here. The National Register for Historic Places Nomination Form for Wheeling Catholic Elementary School has a good history of Catholic education in Wheeling - see Sect 8).

Academy of the Visitation - incorporated Mar 14, 1850
Cathedral High School
Central Catholic High School
Dunbar School
Elm Grove Public School
Fulton Public School - 351 National Road, built 1915. Friends of Wheeling description
Lancasterian Academy - incorporated Oct 10, 1814
Lincoln School - school for black students, founded 1880s, lasted until desegregation in 1950s.
Linsly School
Madison School
Mount De Chantal Visitation Academy
Ritchie Elementary School
St Joseph Academy for Girls
Tridelphia School
Washington School
Webster School
Wheeling Academy - incorporated Feb 21, 1827
Wheeling Catholic Elementary School
Wheeling Female College - incorporated Jan 10, 1853
Wheeling Female Seminary - incorporated Jan 24, 1848 - became the Wheeling Female College and then Wheeling Hospital
Wheeling High School - demolished 1978
Wheeling Hospital School of Nursing - established ca 1900
Wheeling Jesuit University

Libraries


Civic Buildings

Centre Market Square
City-County Building
County Courthouse
Independence Hall
Old County Courthouse
Federal Building and Courthouse


Parks

Heritage Park
Olgebay
Riverside Park
Wheeling Island Fairground
Wheeling Park

Other

YMCA
City Water Works
Old Greyhound Bus Station